Monday, December 31, 2007

I Live, Indeed

If you are reading these words, it means you still occasionally frequent this blog, despite no apparent signs of life from my direction in some time. I thank you for that.

If my absence is not forgivable, I hope it is at least understandable. Like so many, the Christmas season has been somewhat chaotic for me. I have returned to New York for Christmas, a welcome respite after the whirlwind of the past couple of weeks. You see, the third phase of the CBYX program, wherein participants are supposed to be employed, begins on or around February 1. As my departure date loomed, the quiet life I have developed in Cologne began to rumble with the tremors of responsibility: end-of-semester rehearsals and concerts filled my evenings, and mornings began earlier and earlier in order to attend job interviews before class.1 Fortunately, in the midst of this merry maelstrom, there has also been time for a little bit of culture.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the pleasure of watching a performance of Pretty Ugly Tanz Köln, Cologne's premier contemporary dance company. Led by Amanda Miller, an American ex-pat, the company currently resides at the Schauspiel Köln, Cologne's most important theater. The performance which I witnessed, a medley of both Monteverdi and modern music, exhibited both the company's modernist leanings as well as its ability to construct a dance narrative. I particularly appreciate when a company makes that extra effort to communicate, because quite frankly, I usually just don't get modern dance. What Pretty Ugly does, however, is pretty nice.

That's it for now. Suffice it to say I still live, and regular updates will now resume. For my English-speaking readers, a happy new year to you. To the German speakers, ein frohes Silvester. To everyone else: who the hell are you, and how did you find this blog?

--------

1An often miserable experience, since the December sun does not rise in Germany until shortly before 9 am. My heart breaks for the Swedish.

3 comments:

Carey said...

Happy New Year! Glad to hear that you're still alive. :-P
Are you still in NY? I'm in the city now (permanently), so if you're here now then let's make plans to meet up! I would love to hear more stories about your exciting life in Germany...

Unknown said...

Man, I hate being beaten. Still, that's only two entries out of all of them so far. :-P I knew that you were alive and in NY! You deserved a break from writing so you could enjoy your Christmas, and I hope you did! :-) *hugs* Good luck with everything when you get back to Koln!

heather in europe said...

Happy New Year from an American reader in Germany.

Since you asked, I found your blog through one of the CBYX blogs I stumbled upon, since you all link to each other.

Having been in Germany since 2003 I find it interesting to read about the adventures of you and the others who come with such fresh enthusiasm and interest in Europe.