Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Diplomacy, the Musical

I have tried to keep the amount of this blog that is directly about my life to a minimum. My working assumption is that German culture and what it has to offer is more interesting than whether I am getting along with my Gastfamilie. I have been told, however, that this is a pretty funny story, so here goes.

We proud participants of the Parlementarisches Patenschafts-Programm (the German name for my fellowship) attended an event in Düsseldorf last Friday, which was charmingly referred to as a "Stipendiatentag." Germans rarely hesitate when it comes to the creation of new, very LARGE words, so I was hardly surprised to learn that they would conceive a word which means -- and this is the only definition, mind you -- "a party for recipients of a scholarship."

Along with the Cologne contingent of the PPP, many other international students were invited: Europeans, mainland Chinese, and students from various South American countries. We were informed of the existence of this event about a week in advance, and the Americans were encouraged to attend. Some of our number who are more musically inclined were additionally encouraged to prepare some sort of performance, in order to share our American culture with the group. Taking this simply as a suggestion, we did not think we were seriously expected to perform. It was clear that a performance would be appreciated, but I for one did not think it was by any means expected. The party was only a week away, after all. On Friday, as we rode the bus to the party, I spoke with Daniel, a fellow "PPPler" and future orchestral conductor, about what we might hypothetically perform, were this a serious event.

We soon realized our error: Germans do not take such important matters as musical numbers lightly. Immediately upon entering the party, Daniel and I were seized by the regional director. She asked us what we had in mind to perform for everyone there, perhaps 200 heads, as a "representation of American culture." Evidently, the purpose of this performance was an example of that "junior ambassador" stuff they keep talking about. We were to represent America. And were to do it in song. And we were on in twenty-five minutes.

Scrambling, Daniel and I came up with a plan. We quickly ran through which songs Daniel could reconstruct from memory, and then cross-referenced it with which of those songs for which I knew the lyrics. We then triangulated these results with a list of songs silly and campy enough that no one could mistakenly think Daniel and I were taking ourselves seriously.

And that is how I ended up singing "A Whole New World" as both Aladdin AND Jasmine in front of an international assembly.

All in all, I would have to admit it went rather well. I wasn't pitch-perfect, but I had fun, and Daniel came through masterfully on the keyboard. We were silly, we were schmalzy. And everyone laughed, which I guess is all you can ask for in such circumstances. The regional director was very grateful, and I received a number of compliments from both American friends and international students for a very amusing performance. So while the beginning to my ambassadorial endeavors may not have been conventional, it does appear to have been successful.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I sincerely hope that there is audio/visual evidence of that performance! If there isn't, I want to hear you perform that song with someone when you get back, dude. I'll sing it with you if I have to! :-P

nobody said...

heh, one day at camp i was in charge of running disney karaoke. "A whole new world" was the only frikkin song that anyone wanted to hear, and i'd guess i heard it 30+ times in the hour. i had time to work out a whole dance routine.

i guess what i'm saying is i wish i'd been there.

nobody said...

oh, yeah, p.s., personal interest stories are way more interesting than travel book stuff. especially YOUR personal stories.

Patrice said...

You are my hero.

Disney of all things, too! Really, you are my hero.

Also, I'm pretty set on coming to visit in January. What do you say?

MissRoyalTurkey said...

Hey Greg! This is Rebecca from CMC (the tallish, redheaded one that was in PPE and that you did that cheesy musical with back in the day). Anyway, I stumbled across your blog, and so far your adventures have been hilarious. I am going to put a link to your blog, from my blog. You should feel honored. I hope everything continues to well in Germany.