Saturday, August 4, 2007

Genießbare Getränke, Part 1: Kölsch

As I have said, this blog will be concerning itself with all things German. If past experience is any teacher, I will have much to say this year about alcohol. As a first foray into that subject, I give you the specialty beer of the city of Cologne: Kölsch.

Quite frankly, it's nothing special.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy German beer, almost universally more so than the fare available for consumption back in the States. Kölsch, however, does not really offer anything unique. One member of the CBYX group said she thinks it tastes surprisingly like Corona. I think she's right; the similarity is pretty remarkable.

I am not alone in this opinion. I finally confirmed my host father exists last night, and we chatted over Jewers* (a popular pilsner of this region) on a number of subjects, including beer. Without provocation, he explicitly stated his distaste for Kölsch. I suppose he could be in the minority of the local populace on this subject, but nonetheless his opinion shows one is not demonstrating Stereotypical American Arrogance if one doesn't like the stuff.

For those who do want a Stange (a Kölner beer glass) or two, there's only two options open to you: 1) Come to Cologne and order some, or 2) Import it from a Cologne brewery. Germans take their beer very seriously. Besides the famous purity laws, there have also been laws passed regarding what beers can use certain names, akin to similar French laws regarding wine. It is ganz verboten to brew a beer and call it Kölsch unless it is brewed in the city of Cologne.

And like many sources of community pride, Kölsch has its rivals. In this case, the dreaded nemesis is Altbier, the specialty of Düsseldorf. I have not been there yet, nor have I tasted their ancient and mysterious brew, so I cannot really comment on it yet. What I can tell you is what one of the teachers at CDC told me: order Altbier in Cologne at your own peril. Most places do not serve it; some will even throw you out for insulting their establishment so grievously. I suspect the teacher was exaggerating somewhat, but I am not planning on testing his claim anytime soon. If I do happen to see some hapless altbier-loving tourist make this fatal faux pas, I will be sure to report that news here.

Hopefully with pictures.

Bussi bussi.

--------

* It's pronounced YAY-verz. Calm down.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What happened to the mystery of fauxhawks? Not that beer isn't a way more fascinating topic, you should just keep your topic promises. Anyway, my guess is that you've just become stodgier, Mr. Stiff German Handshake. :-P

*HUGS!*

Jeff H said...

In Koeln kann Mann eine Tastatur kaufen, die eine "alt" Taste nicht hat, sondern eine "koelsch" Taste hat.